Thursday, August 31, 2006

Damn, I moved to the wrong city

While blog hopping I saw this at other Carine's blog (which by the way you should read 'cause she's uber talented & great fun). What are the chances of two Carines living in New England traveling within the same blog circles!

I'm London didn'tcha know? DH is over there on a business trip right now, I should call him and tell him not to bother coming back. I'll just pack up the cats, my fiber & books and meet him there. I'll have to get a job in Paris. It's going to be hard, the commute and all. London/Paris Paris/London every day. The things I do for my career!
You Belong in London

A little old fashioned, and a little modern.
A little traditional, and a little bit punk rock.
A unique woman like you needs a city that offers everything.
No wonder you and London will get along so well.

Great news on the travel front. I'm going to Japan & Malayasia soon, gratis. I'll be a staying a week in each. I've been hitting all the japanese crafts blog circuits hard lately. I've been a fan of japanese crafts for a few years now, but this past summer saw a resurgence in my enthusiasm. Mostly due some of the materials we had to make. The Gobbi Mobile shown here in the center uses 5 gradations of colored embroidery thread, one color per ball. It's typically used as a mobile for a 2-3 month old childand may have been inspired by it's cousin the Temari. I found a good resource link and a few pics here.


I was also further inspired by some of the patterns that kept cropping up in the sew-i-knit-along. I'm drawn to the clean, less fussy photographs in japanese craft books as well as their easier to follow diagrams. Maitreya's Crafting Japanese is a cool resource and of course Hilary's Wee Wonderful is always inspiring (she has free patterns too, if you want to get your japanese crafting feet wet). I'm looking forward to the trip and have been practicing my japanese and even dusted off the japanese flashcards I made while taking a japanese langauge course when I lived in Hawai'i (okay, how many times can I use the word japanese in one section, I think the phrase too many comes to mind. Let's try it again). I'm looking forward to the trip and have been practicing the language and even dusted off the flashcards I made while taking japanese when I lived in Hawai'i (better). Very, very excited. This is what I have planned for Malaysia. Not sure what I have planned for Japan yet. I have to double check, but I think it will be too late for Mt. Fuji hikes and it's not cherry blossom season but I believe I will be able to see the changing leaves and of course I want to see the temples, bridges and castles. Hopefully I'll be able to take pics. Oh yeah, my ban on yarn and fabric will be lifted slightly for this momentous trip (I've never been to an asian country before!). Mmmmm, japanese silk.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Lana said...

That's so exciting! I may be able to meet you there (Japan) were going to visit DH's family

8:19 AM  
Blogger Rosieglasses said...

I have too much to say about this post. First and foremost, thanks for the nod. I'm blushing. Means a lot. Secondly. I'm SO jealous over your trips that if you move to Paris, I may not ever be able to speak to you again. Just kidding. That SO exciting!!! I do agree with you about Japanese crafts/craft books. What a great mobile! I can't wait to see the other ways in which you apply your amazing talent

9:15 AM  
Blogger Carine said...

I've got a snowball's chance of moving to London, but I can dream :-)

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home