Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Knitting & World Peace

Two years ago, shortly after I began learning how to knit I started having dreams about knitting. Well maybe not so much dreams as listening to conversations in my sleep and inserting the topic of knitting where I deemed it necessary, except I didn't know it then. I used to listen to the local NPR in Allentown, WDIY (which rocks by the way, the station...not the town) in the wee hours of the morning they would switch from music to world news which, for the most part is pretty depressing. I am a very light sleeper and I can hear conversations going on around me while I sleep and remember snippets. I found myself waking up in the morning and wanting to talk to my DH about all knitting that was going on around the world and what he'd heard about it. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about, but every morning I woke up convinced that there were cease-fires all around the world and the soldiers who once attacked and killed each other were now knitting and chatting, exchanging free patterns and knowledge. Okay, maybe not that far fetched but close. There was love, good will and kick-ass mittens being made. It was beautiful and completely untrue. One particular morning after waking up smiling and at peace because South Korea had started a national knitting program and somehow or another France and India were involved, I decided to look up knitting and it's world links. I was saddend that these peaceful knitting events were not taking place globally. Those events (or non-events) sparked an idea in my mind to put in my future blog: Knitting in the News. Periodically I'll scope for interesting articles about knitting with a global spin and a link. I'll bring those to you shortly. In the meantime...knit on!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Monica said...

so you would actually change what the announcers were saying by slipping in the word knitting! you crack me up! I love your blog by the way. I'll keep checking back :-)

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Wendy said...

I just moved to Allentown, thanks for letting me know about WDIY. I just won tickets to a concert! Love your blog style.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home